Monday 28 October 2013

Mini Trip To Thailand

I've been a very bad blogger since coming back to Nottingham, so I thought my little trip to Thailand No.1 would be a perfect excuse to write something!

Living the life of a student means I don't get to go out eating as much as I would like! Only on very special occasions at the moment, so Mothers birthday was the perfect reason to venture out for the night. My budget isn't the only problem when it comes down to eating out, especially Thai food. I have a severe peanut allergy, meaning that Chinese food is a big no no for me - a date with some spare ribs left me with Angelina Jolie lips.. - and Thai food is pretty similar. I have only had one experience with satay chicken and it didn't end very well.


Thai Soup - Mind the Chilli 
But Thailand No.1 were amazing at catering for me, even asking if I could eat peas.  

With the satay sauce at the far end of the table I was safe to eat without fear. Well, that was until we decided to order the set menu for 4 people. It included Sea bass. Again. I'm allergic, luckily nowhere near as serious as peanuts ,but I do feel like I've swallowed a few hair balls which isn't exactly fun.


Selection of Starters
The set menu included Thai soup, which has mushrooms, prawns and garlic with a load of lime and lemon which was easily deceived as making it taste salty. Oh, and the chilli's had a far kick to it.. they left a few with hiccups! Firstwas the selection of starters (this is where the satay chicken comes out to play) including spring rolls, prawn and sesame seed toast, pork balls, sticky chicken and various other little treats coming with a chili dip. The spring rolls where by far my favourite! Even though almost everything was deep fried nothing was heavy or overly greasy which is something that I've heard a lot of people complain about when it comes to Thai or Chinese food.




I think we all got a little ambitious with our next course, out came the egg fried rice with prawns, some noodles and peppers and onions, green Thai curry, mixed seafood Thai curry, the Thai sea bass and just for me some sweet sticky duck (because I couldn't have the Sea bass!)
Sweet Sticky Duck
Thai Green Curry


To be fair I didn't really need the extra duck, there was already more than enough! The Thai green curry was just right, not too over powering as it can be, and I definitely prefer it to red Thai Curry! The egg fried rice was one of the best I've ever had – although I've not had many to be fair - and the duck was cooked to perfection! Sadly I got too full to finish it all, but what I had was delicious!


Thailand No.1 is based in the Lace Market of Nottingham's city centre and is definitely a place to visit if you happen to be in the City. The staff are all lovely and very helpful with any questions. It's possibly my favourite place to eat out in Nottingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment